Monday, March 3, 2014

Gardening on a Balcony

landscaping idea
After 20 years of gardening, Im amazed that Im still amazed by the effect that plants have on a space. I dont often get to appreciate this first-hand, because I usually have to leave my gardens behind when I go home.



Michelle and I bought a flat a little over a year ago, and one of the things that really appealed to us was the big balcony, which in Durban is a great asset for enjoying our sweltering hot summers.
Its taken us a while, because up until now weve had other priorities, but weve finally gotten round to tackling the balcony.



The cage over the succulents is to keep our
vegetarian cat from munching


The catalyst was a pair of old pots that I had laying around from an old show that I did a few years back. After several coats of charcoal coloured paint to cover their awful green colour, and a quick trip down to the nursery, we had the impetus we needed to really get stuck in to planning and fixing up the area. Which up till now has become a bit of a dumping ground for all the stuff that has nowhere else to go.
A terracotta pot that weve tried quite unsuccessfully to grow herbs in, is now the home for all the succulents that I havent been able to resist buying when Ive been shopping for plants for clients.

Sitting down and appreciating the balcony with the plants, a cup of tea and Michelles fresh baked biscuits this afternoon, it finally felt like a space that I can enjoy.

Now to figure out the furniture...



landscaping idea photo galleries
landscaping idea photo galleries

No comments:

Post a Comment